One size does not fit all: Carhartt

I, like many others am a fan of Carhartt and their clothing. I have a small smattering of their clothes ranging from t shirts to sweatshirts to hats (their beanies are the best), some were gifts and some I thrifted. (While I agree that their quality is worth their high prices, its just not in my budget to buy new.) 

Of the items I do own I like all of them, and think they are great for farm work or just daily wear, my main critique though is their sizing. I have made some observations about their sizing both in their women's and men's lines and it makes no sense to me.

I am typically a size medium in shirts and can even go down to a small in a variety of things, however I find that medium sized Carhartt shirts fit smaller than my typical medium sized t-shirts. While they still fit fine, as a woman it is not always a self confidence boost when you put on your size shirt and it fits tighter than your others. Not only have I noticed a sizing difference in my clothes, the opposite is true in sizing for my significant other. He has a slimmer build but also usually wears medium sized shirts, however when he buys Carhartt he has to size down to a small, otherwise he is swimming in their shirts. Not to mention that they rarely have his size of jeans in stock or available. 

There are a lot of clothing companies that are being more inclusive with their sizing in recent years and I am left to wonder why Carhartt's sizing runs big for men, yet runs small for women. I think that they need to take some time to look at this and make some changes so that a size medium is a size medium. Check out their website to see their offerings and contemplate their sizes: Carhartt.com.

Comments

Popular Posts