I'm more than just a Farm Girl



Currently I am finishing up my senior year in college at Illinois State University in Normal, Il. Therefore I am away from my family and farming for most of the year, so in my mind I am distanced from farm life. However even after 3 years here my friends, peers, and even professors refer to me as the girl with the cows, or the girl who likes cows, or they say things like oh I bet you're so strong because you throw hay bales around, and more. While all of these statements are true, in some regards I want people to realize that being involved in agriculture is not the only interesting or important thing about me. When I am at home nobody makes comments about farming because everybody knows someone who farms they ask me about dance or my business classes, but 2 hours away in a college town farm kids are a rare species, all anyone asks me about is the farm. Frankly, I'm over it. I've worked too hard getting two bachelor's degrees in business and dance to not have those aspects of my life recognized by the very people who watch me work towards those degrees.

I am and always will be a farm girl and that's okay with me I'm proud of my family and roots, but I think it is important to recognize all of the other things that farmers are capable and not stereotype them like I have been at school. Maybe my professors are in awe of what my family does or maybe they just like to make assumptions, I am not sure but I am a so much more than just a farm girl, and I'd like to be recognized as such.

I know that many people would love to be recognized as a farm girl or woman farmer and I think that is great as well, but personally I want people to see all of who I am and not just stop at the word farm. 

Is this something that bothers any of you? 

Comments

Popular Posts