Interview with my Mom

My mom grew up on a farm and as soon as she left and married my father she said for years that she did not want to live on a farm. Fast forward 25 years and somehow that has all changed. The woman who despised growing up on a farm is happily planting her garden, checking cows, loving on the barn kittens, and finding every excuse to wear a shirt with a cow on it. So I thought who better than her to ask about being a farm wife, because she has several perspectives. 





How do you like farm life? 

    "Its a lot of work, more than I planned for, but it is so worth it to finally have a quiet place out in the country. It has given us an opportunity to work together as a family, and also will be a great way for us to retire" 

Why did you not like the farm growing up? 

    "In simple terms, I guess I just wanted to be a normal kid, I hated having to pump water for the cows by hand, and being outside of town meant that I didn't get to do all of the activities that my friends got to do during the week."

What would you say is the most important thing you've learned through this experience?

    "I am a very organized person and like to know what my plan for the day is, so its been a challenge for me to be more flexible with the unpredictable things that happen day-to-day, but I'm learning to be more flexible and that has been really helpful" 

What would you want to tell people about life on the farm? 

    "I would say that it looks different for everybody, and there is no one way to do anything. We started this journey a little later in life, but are making it our own. I work nights so my schedule is completely different in the time and way I get my chores done, but they get done and that is what counts. Find what works for you." 

My mom loves documenting her daily life on the farm on Facebook, so maybe one day soon she'll start her own blog, I'll let you guys know if that ever happens, but until then I love hearing my mom's stories about her little adventures and can't wait to have my own. 

Comments

Popular Posts