Inflation + farms = ? -- What I think might happen

 As we all know, this year has been crazy. The prices of everything have gone through the roof, especially for farmers. Fuel, seeds, chemical, and about everything else needed to plant and harvest a successful crop have doubled if not tripled, and the selling prices have not quite kept up. So what does this mean for farmers everywhere? I will make a disclaimer that I do not follow grain prices that closely and really only know about the costs of things from quick conversations I hear and have with my own family. However, after this harvest season I am almost certain that farmers are not going to see the profit margins that they have in the previous years. This will likely lead to farmers making some different financial decisions in the near future. Will they wait to buy that new tractor? Will they sell all their calves early because they can't afford feed? These are questions that I foresee getting asked. I also predict that some farmers might consider selling out depending on how the harvest goes since the political climate is unpredictable. One thing that I have seen a lot of lately and think will continue is farmers diversifying their offerings. A lot of people have started raising different types of animals or planting a different crop in the off season in order to have a few different streams of income as times continue to be rocky. 

On the other hand with inflation happening in every industry, there is an opportunity for smaller beef and pork farmers to sell direct to consumers for a lower price than what they are getting at the supermarket. This would provide a more diversified income for livestock farmers. I am hoping people start to realize the value in supporting the agriculture operations near them because it helps the farmers stay afloat and grow and also provides consumers with better products. 

Maybe I am reading the situation wrong, but I think this year is going to bring a lot of headaches and hard decisions when it comes to deciding how to run your farm for the year. 

Comments

Popular Posts